(Entries are open for 2017 races.)
|26 Feb-2017||Thameside 1|
|12 Mar-2017||Thameside 2|
Thameside 1: Aldermaston to Reading
Starting from Aldermaston Bridge, Thameside 1 is a time trial down the Kennet & Avon Canal, through Reading town centre and out onto the River Thames. A left turn where the mouth of the Kennet meets the Thames takes competitors upstream and over Caversham Lock, finishing upstream of Caversham Bridge at Reading Canoe Club on the right hand bank.
Parking / Facilities
Pre-event parking in the British Rail car park at Aldermaston station, please note that facilities at Aldermaston are very limited. Post-event parking will be limited so RCC asks that you park legally and considerately. There will be hot showers and food available at the finish
Approximate total distance: 12 miles
Thameside 2: Reading to Marlow
This is a downstream race with mass class starts, starting in Reading and finishing at Marlow. Start and Check in will be at the Reading Rowing Club on the south bank of the river near the Rivermead sports centre and Holiday Inn Hotel, opposite Reading canoe club. The finish will be at the Longridge, Quarry Wood Road, Marlow.
Approximate total distance: 19 miles
Senior: Pre-entries: £13 per seat per race
Junior: Pre-entries: £11 per seat per race
British Canoeing (BC) Membership Day Ticket £5
Late entries: £4 additional per seat
- Entries can only be made online this year. NO ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER 14:00 ON THE DAY PRECEDING THE RACE
- Early bird entries will be accepted until noon on the Friday preceding the race you are entering
- Late entries will be accepted up to 14:00 on the Saturday preceding the race, but will occur an additional charge of £4 per seat
- Payment is via paypal, credit/debit card or cheque, payable to Reading Canoe Club
- Please send cheques to Race Organiser, c/o Reading Canoe Club, The Warren, Caversham, Reading RG4 7TH
- Comprehensive BC membership is required. Please bring your card on the day
- Those without proof of BC membership will be charged £5 for an event day ticket
- Entry fees include Thames Licences, light refreshments and the use of shower and changing facilities at finishing points.
|K1 & K2||K1 & K2
C1 & C2
|K1 & K2||K1 & K2||K2||K2|
- Juniors must be under 19 on January 1st in the year of the race.
- Veterans must be aged 35 or over on January 1st in the year of the race.
- A Junior/Veteran boat must be made up of paddlers from both classes.
At the finish of each race, prizes will be awarded as follows:
1st place in all classes
2nd place where five or more starters are present
3rd place where ten or more starters are present
|Thameside 1||Thameside 2|
|9:00 to 10:00 Check-in
10:30 to 11:30 Start window (at one minute intervals)
10:00 Slow K2 Start
10:10 Slow K1 Start
10:40 Fast K2 Start
10:50 Fast K1 Start
Anyone in Div 3 or above will not be allowed to start in the slower start. Race time cir. 2:30
- If you are uncertain whether the race will go ahead, please telephone (0118) 9477643. Check website for updates
- Competitors and team leaders should note that competitors participate at their own risk, and that Reading Canoe Club cannot be held responsible for any loss or injury to person or property however caused.
- All paddlers under the age of 16 years on 1st January in the year of the race must wear a buoyancy aid or life jacket.
- It is recommended that all other paddlers wear a buoyancy aid or life jacket and dress appropriately, since river conditions can be adverse at this time of the year.
- The rules of the river/waterway should be observed at all times.
Here at Reading Canoe Club we are always looking to make improvements to our great events. Therefore would appreciate any feedback negative or positive you may have – therefore please email any suggestions.
Some ideas we are looking at are; schools trophy, alternative course in high flow, other options at Marlow.