All posts by Dan

Thameside 2 – Cancelled

Unfortunately following yesterday’s government announcement, and the British Canoeing statement on events and gatherings in light of COVID-19, RCC will need to cancel the Thameside 2 race this year.

Please contact us via info@reading-canoe.org.uk if you require a refund.

Thameside 2 – Postponed

Regrettably we have not been able to secure a suitable replacement finish for Thameside 2 on Sunday. Therefore we have taken the decision to postpone the event.

The only viable date is Sunday 22-March, between Watersides C & D. We are currently starting the process to make this happen. Further updates to follow.

Please contact us via info@reading-canoe.org.uk if you require a refund.

Thameside 2 2020 – Update 1

Quick update, the weather conditions mean that we will not be able to to use Longridge Activity Centre for the finish. We are currently looking at alternatives and hope to post an update later today.

Special Measures – given the river conditions there will additional measures in place and entry restriction. Details to follow.

Thameside 1 2020

As always a big thank you to everyone supporting this year’s event on and off the water. Apologies to those who were not able to take part due to the restrictions, and a special acknowledgement to paddlers who have donated their entry despite not racing.

Check out the final results for T1 2020

Refunds or transfer to T2 – All requested refunds have been processed, so if you have not heard from us and still want a refund or transfer to T2 please drop us an email.

Feedback is a gift, feel free to share any constructive feedback.

See you all at T2

Thameside 1 – Update 22-Feb

Prerequisites for Thameside 1 tomorrow

  1. Restricted entry
  • Your crew must score 16 or above on the competency check (form attached)
  • Please ensure you bring your completed competencies forms to check-in
  1. Compulsory buoyancy aids for ALL paddlers
  2. Mobile phone to be carried by all crews (working, charged, water proof)
  3. Your kit and boat will be checked
  4. If you caught by the course sweeper you will be asked to leave the course. Please bear this in mind.

Refund or Transfer to T2
If do not meet the criteria please let me know if you want the entry transfer to T2, or refunded.

Thameside 1 – Update 21-Feb

Thameside 1 is on! We are still scoring the course at 16, your paddler assessment needs to be equal or higher than 16.

All additional measures previously stated will be place; restricted entry, compulsory buoyancy aids, mobile phone to be carried.

If you caught by the course sweeper you will be asked to leave the course. Please bear this in mind.

We are also continuing to monitor the course, if something changes beyond our control that we are not able to mitigate we might still need to cancel the event.

Please check the website regular for updates.

Thameside 1 – Update 20-Feb

Final course assessment is yet to take place, however, this is forewarning that a number of additional measures will be in place; restricted entry, compulsory buoyancy aids, mobile phone to be carried.

Restricted Entry / Course Assessment
Thameside 1 is a challenging 12 mile course with 12 portages. Although we take every possible action to minimise risk to paddlers, it is critical that paddlers, coaches and parents assess whether they are able to complete the course safely.

We are continually assessing the course on four key measures; flow, temperature, visibility and wind speed.

Paddlers need to assess their own competence against experience, paddling ability, equipment and support. Competence Form

We are currently scoring the course for Thameside 1 (23-Feb) as 16, paddler competence needs to be equal or higher than 16. For those who don’t meet the criteria, will have the option to transfer entry to Thameside 2 or refund.

All boats should be fit for purpose and fitted with sufficient buoyancy, there will be checks of paddler kit and boats prior to the start.

Next update will be Friday 16:00

Thameside 1 – Update

We are currently monitoring the conditions in the lower sections of Kennet-on-Avon canal. We will need to apply a degree of special measures (e.g. compulsory buoyancy aids, restricted entry) or cancel the race depending on how the river level drops over the next couple of days.

Next update will be Friday 16:00